Residency Card

You already probably know but I think it’s the first thing to say:

According to the Spanish Law, If you move to Spain and you have the intention to stay longer than 3 months you must register in the list of foreign people living in Spain.

It’s a quite simple process, the problem is that every Police Station has different requirements, so before to get the appointment make sure you will be able -according your personal conditions- to apply for the residency in that office.


Alicante office, for example:

  • If you are RETIRED, you need to show them your S1 and direct debit the payments of your pension into a Spanish Bank Account.
  • If you are AUTONOMO you need to show them your Hacienda Registration and also your last Quarterly Tax Return and the last 3 Social Security payments receipts.
  • If you are an EMPLOYEE you need to show them your contract (you must earn 700€ at least and been working for 6 months minimum).
  • If you are not in one of the OPTION above then you need a Spanish bank account with at least 8000€ and a private health insurance.

In all the cases you must complete and provide the form application EX18, pay 12€ administration fee (tasa) and an ID photo.

To get an appointment in the Police Station you have to choose the province/county you live in, the option Certificado UE and provide your personal info: name, passport and email address.

Do not forget to read the article Residency after Brexit.

If you have any questions, please, feel free to leave a comment down below or on the contact page.

15 thoughts on “Residency Card

  1. We arrived in Spain 3 weeks ago and have been to our local police station in Motril and have ‘registered’ as citizens. We were handed an A4 single sheet of white paper with an NIE number. We have used this already to open a Spanish bank account. We were not given a green card. What stage are we at now? I’m a little confused.

    1. Hello Karen, thanks for your comment.

      You have your NIE number certificate.
      The NIE Number is your Spanish ID to identify you in Spain. It will be linked with the Social Security, Tax Office, Police, Town Hall, etc. once you register yourself in these administrations.

      If you intent to live in Spain, you need to apply for the Green Residency Card. It’s a quite similar process than NIE application.

      Hope it helps!

  2. Thanks for the quick response.
    Last question….can we apply now, or do we have to wait for 3 months (I’m not sure I read that somewhere)?

    1. Hi again Karen, you ask all the questions you want, this website is to help all of you.

      Following with your enquiry, you can apply as soon as you land in Spain.

      I suggest you that you try to get the appointment before the brexit day.


  3. Hi All,
    A question that hopefully someone can help me with.
    My partner and I are in the process of selling our house in France(we live here) with the view of moving to Spain.
    My partner gets an income from the UK, and will continue do so when we go to Spain. I however will start afresh with work, I am thinking of setting up my own business.
    But until that is set up, I won’t be able to prove any income in Spain, and I am not retired.
    My partners income will be enough to cover us both for a few months.
    In short, I see that she will easily get a residency card, but I’m not sure I will be able to as I am in effect, unemployed.
    Is there a way around this?
    Thanks in advance for any information that may help my dilemma.

    1. Hello Mark, to apply for the residency green card you will need to proof 12,000€ (depending of the area) for both in a Spanish bank account, where are you thinking I move on?

    2. Hello Mark, unfortunately you cannot ask for a residency unless you proof your incomes or savings, unemployment is not approved at all.
      Hope it helps 🙂

  4. Hello. We want to apply for residency. We are retired and just received our S1. We also have our Padrón and the money in the back. We will be applying in Almeria. Can you tell me if we need anything else and how do I apply for an appointment in Almeria. Thank you in advance.

  5. I am an EU pensioner with NIE, empadromenta and rental contract.
    I would like to apply for residentia.
    What is the process and what is required financially?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.